Saturday 28 September 2013

DIY Boats Are More Fun

I confess I was tempted by this expensive Lalaloopsy boat at the toy store.  I'd been on the lookout for a real boat that could actually ride things in it.  But toy makers are dumb.  Try fitting more than the character included and things just slide off.   So guess what happened next.



I was inspired by this to make one instead.  Please click on the link for the full how-to instructions.  We did ours so instantly, I had no time to grab the camera.

Materials

I did the sail differently from the tutorial, but it's not exactly rocket science:

Best of all, the boat is actually a boat:

Imaginative story play during bath time (in her makeshift tub area)


These were ridiculously easy to make in five minutes, and I whipped up two more to keep Ladybug Girl and her cousins busy during a poolside adult party:

Make the strings really really really long.  Longer than you think you need.

The kids loved it!







Best of all, it's easy to throw out when the time comes.  I like not having to keep one more toy around. 

Of course, we could resort to this again:

I think shoe makers are smarter than toy makers.

What are your super simple toys that beat the toy store?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, with good intent!